The Institutes are organs of CNR with the purpose of carrying out research activities in direct connection with the policy objectives of the Authority and taking account of the general directions of research in the country.
In relation with the research lines and with organizational needs, Institutes, by order of the President of the National Research Council, on a proposal of the Director of the Institute, can be articulated in departments and services in-house technicians. Institute are responsible for the Director and the Scientific Council.
Established by decree of the President of CNR Guglielmo Marconi August 10, 1936, as National Institute of electroacoustic, had as its first director Orso Mario Corbino, eminent physicist and founder of the School of Nuclear Physics in Rome, who at the beginning oriented activity Institute founded by him towards what is today called "high fidelity" in the reproduction of sound. Following the death of Corbino and because even the events of war that deprived the Institute of the necessary structures, these studies were interrupted and the activity was devoted to the study of ultrasound.
Became National Institute of Ultracustica in 1949, the Institute held research until 1968 almost exclusively in the field of sound propagation in solids and liquids and earned a place of international importance. The effect Bordoni, riguradante dissipation of elastic energy in metals due to some imperfections in the lattice-crystalline, is now studied in universities around the world. The influence of cosmic rays on austica cavitation, ie the formation of gas bubbles in a liquid through by ultrasound of great intensity is cited as one of the most important studies on cavitation. The use of light to display the acoustic field, interferometry high resolution acoustics, the construction and the use of ultrasonic transducers of great power, have led in turn to the Institute wide recognitions in Italy and abroad.
In 1968 the Institute was renovated and enlarged diiventando Institute of Acoustics "OM Corbino".
Since February 2010 took its present name following the opening of the headquarters of Brescia called "SENSOR Laboratory", thus emphasizing the importance that the sensor has in the activities of the Institute.
... and the story continues .....